As a new home owner I have devoted much of my previous energy that I use to spend on road trips and training to buying and fixing up my old house. I think that I have gotten to a point where I am pretty good at fixing things when needed.
Now that I have gotten my house up to snuff, my inner traveler wants to travel this winter. Snowboarding in Colorado, Biking in Florida and Surfing in Mexico are just a few of the things on my “to do” list. To make this happen I have to get my house in shape. Here is some of my tips for fall cleanup to free my winter for fun.
When you start thinking about fall cleanup, then it is time for you to start investing in your weekend to this service. It is not only a time of the year that pays to pays to clean, organize and take stock of your environment but it is an opportunity for you to make the place seem more pleasant by arranging and cleaning all household items.
Here are some fall cleanup tips for you:
- Dust the ceilings and walls: With the help of your vacuum cleaner, start dusting summer build-up of the dirt and mud. This will give a clean and elegant look to the house’s interiors.
- Furniture cleaning: With the help of an upholstery attachment to your vacuum cleaner, remove the dust from the furniture to give its best look. Upholstery attachment also helps in preventing the delicate fabric from getting ruined while cleaning.
- Bring out your winter linens: Start preparing your house for long winter naps. You can start wit bringing out the duvets to replace it wit lightweight summer bed sheets.
- You can also make use of a pressure washer to clean stains, mold, dust and mud from surfaces and objects in the house. They come with a mechanical sprayer and a home-use pressure washer is an essential for cleaning because the pressure it creates helps to clean certain difficult stains that cannot be cleaned otherwise. Click here for some good reviews on the best pressure washer for your home.
- Clean your gardens: Gardens start looking the messiest after fall. So the earlier you engage yourself in cleaning the gardens for the next season, the better it is. You can even seek professional help to clean the gardens so give them a net and trimmed look.
- Clean the yard: As leaves fall, it is very essential to indulge in cleaning and raking them regularly. Then you can shred the leaves to make your lawn and the yard look healthy.
- Clean chimneys: Sweeping the chimney will make sure that any residue or debris from the earlier season is cleaned and the probability of them causing fire goes down to zero.
- Check your home for any cracks: The window drafts and sides that prone to get cracks and if you begin to notice any cracks, it is time to fix them up too. To limit the heat loss I the house, it is important to weather strip them.
Thus, with the help of fall cleanup tips, you can completely change the look of your house and make it look as new as it was at the time when you bought it.
As I approach my 20th year of going on yearly mountain biking/camping trips it has occurred to me that I have gotten smarter with old age. My first mountain biking expedition started off as a last minute road trip that me and a high school buddy wanted to do in 1994. One sunny morning we both decided that we would travel 300 miles to bike the famous trails of Scarface Mountain in Lake Placid, NY. Three days later we returned exhausted, beat up and with a full knowledge of what to take next time on our trip.
We were teenagers then and got away with very little food and bottled water was not popular quite yet. So we packed up some Doritos a few peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and make our way to New York. Luckily we survived the 2 day trip with only a flat tire, on the way home, and a few cuts and bruises from the rugged terrain. With this being said, here is an updated version of my mountain biking checklist.
For the Car
Updated IPod- Back in the 1990s we didn’t have IPods, so we made by on CDs, this is still an option for those of you who like to make your own mix CDs. I would say a week before the trip download at least 30-40 of your favorite newer songs to prep yourself for the trip.
Spare Tires- We made a mistake and did not have the best tires on our 1988 Accord when we ventured to New York. With this being said, we were able to navigate home on a dinky spare for the last 25 miles of our trip. This is something that I would advise against anyone doing. Get a good spare tire or two just in case of disaster
For the Trip
Extra Bike Tires- Just like your car can’t run well without good tires, your bike is the same. A mountain biking trip can come to a quick stop if you blow out a tire in the middle of nowhere. Mountain bikes aren’t built for two riders and a 20 miles walk in the middle of the woods is not my idea of a fun trip.
Water- We got lucky on our first trip as we didn’t have much water, but it wasn’t really a hot summer weekend with temperatures in the mid to high 70s. Also, being a youngster, our bodies were able to adapt better. Now a days I don’t go camping/ hiking or anything without extra canteens on me. I will go without almost anything to have some extra water in case of emergency. I personally like Fiji Water as it tastes good and hydrates well.
Extra Underwear- Trust me the last thing you want to sleep in is wet underwear when you are camping overnight. Nothing feels worse than having to go through a night like this. Stuff underwear anywhere you can in your backpack and outside of your backpack. You never know when your backpack will get wet, which can also destroy a fun weekend.
There are many more things to bring on your road trip that I didn’t cover, these are just a few that I never go without. Depending on how long I am gone and where I am going I will have a much more extensive list.
As a weekend warrior and athlete in his 30s I have come to appreciate many things that help me get through training. A solid diet, rest and taking care of me are one of the best things that I can do. While I was climbing the Appalachian Mountains in 2008, I pulled a back muscle that put me out of commission for several weeks. While this setback hurt my trip, it introduced me to one of my favorite forms of therapy, which is an inversion table.
Utilizing inversion therapy along with some rest, I was able to fully recover from this back injury and haven’t had one since, thanks mostly to the table.
An Inversion Table is a table meant for exercising in such a way that your feet are placed higher than your head. This helps to reduce the negative effects of gravity. In fact, these tables position your body upside down, so the gravity works in the opposite direction. These are recommended by doctors and therapists for patients who are suffering from back pain. Inversion tables come in different sizes and designs under different brands and manufacturers.
Some of these exercise tables are large, expensive, complicated and immobile. If they are not used correctly, then they can even cause injury to the user. Some of them are even portable and could fit into a small living room or storage space. Some Inversion tables can be used as a workout machine with the help of which you can exercise other body parts. The price tag is labeled according to the features and functionality. Like for example power Inversion tables are more expensive than manually operated ones.
There are various benefits that an Inversion table offers. Let’s discuss them in detail:
- This table is especially effective for people with a severe back pain problem, since the gravity helps to stretch the backbone. As a result, it provides a relief from the lower back pain.
- Inversion table therapy is mostly helpful for old people since most of the back problems come with aging process. Back pain is largely the effect of gravity constantly pulling down over a long period of time.
- Inversion table is known to improve blood circulation, helps to lessen compression fatigue and as a result reduces stress and promotes relaxation. It is also used for the treatment of stress headaches.
- People who have tried the Inversion tables have also shown that it can increase flexibility in movement for older people and reduce the effects of aging caused by gravity.
Some of the doctors with conventional western medicinal practice are reluctant to prescribe this therapy to their patients. However, as it is clear from the above the benefits of Inversion therapy are many and are widely known. This therapy is very popular type of therapy used to improve posture, lessen back pain, better blood circulation and increasing flexibility.
Thus, it can be concluded that because of the various advantages of having Inversion tables, it is an effective measure of lessening back pains and it must be used by older people to treat any back problems that they have.